Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday = Baking

Usually on Sundays I find myself writing lesson plans, grading papers, catching up on homework for my class, etc., but on the rare occasion that I am caught up on my work, I like to bake on Sunday.
Today C reminded me that I had peeled some bananas and left them in the fridge. I decided to make chocolate chip banana bread for the humans. After I had finished this I still had a lot of leftover banana. I looked down at the Corgi sitting by my feet, staring at me, begging me to make him some nommy treats.
I dug out a recipe I had for peanut butter dog treats and modified it to include banana.



Lazer beam boys want treats!

Corgi Approved!


Bender's Peanut Butter Banana Treats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup peanut butter (all-natural or organic)
1/2 cup mashed banana
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons oil

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine oil, peanut butter, banana and water. Mix flour together in a separate bowl, and add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. Knead dough into firm ball and roll to 1/4 inch thickness. (I've found you need to add a little extra water)

Use cookie cutter or cut into desired shapes. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes (longer if you desire crunchier treats). I recommend rotating the trays half way through. Makes 2+ dozen cookies. (Note: If you wish to leave the banana out and make plain peanut butter treats, increase water to 1 cup. You can also add a sprinkling of flax seeds. Finally, I refrigerate mine so they last longer.)

4 comments:

  1. How fun! I will have to try these some day. How long do they typically last??

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look healthy and delicious for our furry friends. I may have to make a batch for Koda to try

    thanks for sharing and enjoy the day :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kelly - I've found they stay good for about a month, sometime longer. Although this is dependent on how many treats you give each day. With 2 dogs getting 2 treats a day they last about 3 weeks. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAJOR YUMMERS!!! I plan to post a link to this post to share your blog and this doggy recipe on our blog. Thanks so much, Bender & Mom, for sharing these with us!!! Now I need to go "compel" Grammy to make US some... Oh, Graaaammmy...

    ReplyDelete